Riding a motorcycle can be an exhilarating way to travel on the road. But doing so also comes with significant safety risks. Before you hit on the road on your motorcycle, review the following top causes of motorcycle accidents and safe driving tips.
Top Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
- Motorists fail to see riders when they are coming out of a driveway, making a left turn in front of an oncoming rider or when the motorcycle is in the driver’s “blind spot.”
- Many riders do not obtain the proper motorcycle license and training to learn how to properly operate the bike.
- Riders speed excessively while also weaving in and out of traffic lanes.
- Riders are under the influence of drugs or alcohol—the cause of almost half of all motorcycle accidents.
Safety Tips for Riders
- Attend motorcycle training courses and get a license specifically for a motorcycle.
- Always wear a helmet and other appropriate gear.
- Do not drink alcohol or use drugs while operating a motorcycle.
- Practice safe driving by using the controls and gears while your bike is off and parked.
- Follow posted speed limits.
- Look out for hazards such as potholes, cracks and bumps in the road.
- Exercise extreme caution when you are carrying passengers.
Make Yourself Visible on the Road
As mentioned above, accidents are commonly caused by motorists failing to see motorcyclists on the road. To increase the odds of other drivers seeing you before it is too late, avoid tailgating or weaving between lanes and always use proper signals to warn motorists of your movements.
For more personal risk management guidance, contact us today.