Winter Safety Recommendations for Employees
Winter months introduce additional hazards that employees may not encounter in warmer weather. To prevent slip and fall incidents during this season, consider the following recommendations:
Choose Proper Footwear:
- Wear shoes made of slip-resistant materials like rubber or steel.
- Avoid plastic and leather-soled shoes or boots.
Exercise Caution Around Vehicles:
- Use vehicles for balance and support when entering and exiting.
Stay in Designated Areas:
- Walk only in designated areas safe for foot traffic.
- Look ahead to identify possible hazards on your path.
Avoid Difficult Inclines:
- Steer clear of inclines that are typically challenging to walk on in winter conditions.
Take Small, Slow Steps:
- Maintain your balance by taking small steps and walking slowly.
- Keep hands out of pockets to help break a fall if you slip.
Utilize Handrails and Stationary Objects:
- Use handrails, walls, or stationary objects to assist in steadying your feet.
Test Slippery Surfaces:
- Tap your foot on a potentially slippery surface before stepping on it.
- Avoid roof edges, floor openings, and other drop-offs to prevent slipping hazards.
Dry Shoes or Boots:
- Remove excess moisture by drying shoes or boots on floor mats when entering a building.
Report Hazards Promptly:
- Report any slip and fall hazards detected on the job immediately.
Communicate with Supervisors:
- Talk to your supervisor for more information on staying safe at work during winter weather.
By following these recommendations, you can reduce the risk of slips and falls and ensure a safer work environment during the winter months. Stay vigilant and prioritize your safety.
Ask your Marshfield Insurance Agent about Slip & Fall Coverage!